1.09.2011

Volpone



I can’t remember the last time I read a book that was so ludicrous in its hilarity; Volpone is an immensely impressive satire. At several points during this story, I actually laughed aloud, which is saying a lot. It’s easy for a story to make me cry, but actually laughing out is a pretty impressive feat.

How often to do you read a play about a man pretending to be on the verge of death in order to receive extravagant gifts (and in one instance, access to Corvino’s wife, Celia) paired with characters such as Nano “the dwarf”, Androgyno “the hermaphrodite” and Castrone “the eunuch”? Seriously funny, seriously brilliant.
Yet another treasure from my beloved "Camelot Bookstore", for just $2, I was provided with one of the surprisingly greatest plays I've ever read.

No comments:

Post a Comment