1.11.2011

Jane Eyre


This is one of my all time favorite novels. I deeply relate to Jane’s personality and innermost thoughts. How often she thinks things that simply cannot or ought not to be voiced, and yet remains silent with her musings… And the variance of thoughts and emotions she displays are so familiar to me it’s remarkable. Edward Rochester has that dark quality that I find insanely attractive in a man (if only a guy like that existed in my life… maybe minus being married to a violent lunatic and cross dressing as a gypsy woman). He is certainly one of my favorite literary men, if only for the fact that he’s so mysterious, passionate and brooding.

I thoroughly enjoy the matter of fact way Jane tells her story, and how she doesn’t see herself as a heroine, merely as a narrator who happens to be at the heart of this tale. This novel contains all of the necessary ingredients for a thoroughly romantic, lovely and dramatic story. Amidst the ups and downs, are some of the most interesting characters, such as inspiring Maria Temple, kind Alice Fairfax, contemptible Blanche Ingram and the severely devout St. John Rivers. If you haven’t read the novel, or you read it as an assignment in school and didn’t like it, please, please read it again, it's magnificent!


A few quotes I love:

"I knew you would do me good in some way, at some time; - I saw it in your eyes when I first beheld you: their expression and smile did not - did not strike delight to my very inmost heart so for nothing. People talk of natural sympathies: I have heard of good genii: - there are grains of truth in the wildest fable. My cherished preserver, good-night!"



"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will."
"Reader, I married him."

No comments:

Post a Comment