11.28.2010

Nic's New Reading Lists

Ambitious girl that I am, I have decided on new reading lists. Yes, I meant to pluralize that, I have 4 separate lists. Some I’ve read, some I’ve meant to read, some I’ve never heard of until I went searching. I don’t expect anyone to sit there and read my new reading lists; it’s more for my benefit. When I go to a used bookstore, it helps to pull out a copy of the list so I can figure out what I still need to buy, thus, my current posting. Also, I’ve decided not to read these in any specific order (mainly because some of these will be difficult to find), and if anyone gives me a book that’s not on these lists, you’re out of luck, I won’t read it.

As a side note, I went to
Camelot Books this afternoon and I was blissfully happy there. I’m serious; it’s my favorite store on earth. I love the smell of the books, the workers are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable not to mention the thousands and thousands of books floor to ceiling!


Novels by The Bronte Sisters
Charlotte:
¨ Jane Eyre
¨ Shirley
¨ Villette
¨ The Professor
Emily:
¨ Wuthering Heights
Anne:
¨ Agnes Grey
¨ The Tenant of Wildfell Hall





Novels by Elizabeth Gaskell
¨ Mary Barton
¨ Cranford
¨ Ruth
¨ North and South
¨ Sylvia’s Lovers
¨ Wives and Daughters
Novellas
¨ The Moorland Cottage
¨ Mr. Harrison’s Confessions
¨ The Old Nurse’s Story
¨ Lizzie Leigh
¨ My Lady Ludlow
¨ Round the Sofa
¨ Lois the Witch
¨ A Dark Night’s Work
¨ Cousin Phillis





Novels by George Eliot
¨ Adam Bede
¨ The Mill On the Floss
¨ Silas Marner
¨ Romola
¨ Felix Holt, The Radical
¨ Middlemarch
¨ Daniel Deronda




Must Read British/Scottish/Irish Literature
Medieval
¨ The Dream of the Rood
¨ The Canterbury Tales – Geoffrey Chaucer
Renaissance/Baroque/Classicism
¨ Utopia – Thomas More
¨ The Faerie Queene – Edmund Spencer
¨ The Spanish Tragedy – Thomas Kyd
¨ Doctor Faustus – Christopher Marlowe
¨ Sonnets – William Shakespeare
¨ A Midsummer Night’s Dream – William Shakespeare
¨ Hamlet – William Shakespeare
¨ Poems & Sonnets – John Donne
¨ To His Coy Mistress – Andrew Marvell
¨ The Mower Against Gardens – Andrew Marvell
¨ Volpone – Ben Johnson
¨ Paradise Lost – John Milton
¨ The Way of The World – William Congreve
[Pre]Romanticism
¨ Robinson Crusoe – Daniel Defoe
¨ Moll Flanders – Daniel Defoe
¨ Gulliver’s Travels – Jonathan Swift
¨ Pamela Virtue Rewarded – Samuel Richardson
¨ Joseph Andrews – Henry Fielding
¨ The Castle of Otranto – Horace Walpole
¨ The Expedition of Humphrey Clinker – Tobias Smollett
¨ Poems – Robert Burns
¨ Songs of Innocence and of Experience – William Blake
¨ Castle Rackrent – Maria Edgeworth
Romanticism
¨ Lyrical Ballads – William Wordsworth
¨ Poems – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
¨ Don Juan – Lord Byron
¨ Poems – Lord Byron
¨ Odes – John Keats
¨ Poems - Percy Bysshe Shelley
¨ Frankenstein – Mary Shelley
¨ Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray
¨ Poems – Alfred, Lord Tennyson
¨ Poems – Robert Browning
¨ Poems – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Victorian
¨ The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – Robert Louis Stevenson
¨ The Importance of Being Earnest – Oscar Wilde
¨ Tess of the d’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy
¨ The Portrait of A Lady – Henry James
¨ Poems – William Butler Yeats
¨ Howards End – Edward Morgan Forster
¨ Sons and Lovers – David Herbert Lawrence
Modern
¨ Ulysses – James Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment