4.08.2011

The Book Loft, Solvang, CA



The last store in my ramblings through the little town of Solvang was The Book Loft. It's unique in every sense of the word: embodying a Barnes & Noble-esque downstairs, a lovely used and rare section upstairs, the Hans Christian Andersen museum and the cozy little Bulldog Cafe.


Don't panic, I say Barnes & Noble merely because the downstairs is comprised entirely of new books. It's still a used bookstore at heart. Of course, I milled about downstairs and marvelled at the Authors Playing Cards (an item I fully intended to create myself), journals, puzzles, games etc... But the piece de resistance is upstairs. It contains a fabulous American/Military history section, a bit of poetry, a wall of fiction, cases of rare books and the lovely museum dedicated to one of my favorite authors.


As I wandered among the many shelves, one of the employees noticed my epic reading list and asked if he could help me find what I was looking for. Now although they didn't have the incredibly obscure book, he hopped online and found a copy he could order and ship to me. Now that's service! Go. Wander. Enjoy.



If you visit, here's a little tip: the stairs leading to the used section has a long bookshelf built into it... It has beautiful classics and poetry books for great prices!

No comments:

Post a Comment